Skip to Content
Serving Jacksonville, St. Augustine & Palm Coast

Are You Using the Wrong Light Bulb for That Lamp?


Most people have little knowledge about the state of the wiring in their homes until something goes wrong. It's important to be aware of why and how panels and sockets get overheated. Not knowing what to look for could have you and your family in a dangerous situation.

What Causes Overheating?

The primary reasons for overheating in your outlets are:

1. Insufficient Wiring

Homes today contain more devices than ever, requiring lots of energy to run them. Wiring starts overheating when there aren't enough actual wires to send the needed power to all of your appliances. That may ultimately cause damage to your equipment and will need to replacing.

2. Poor Electrical Connections

Bad electrical connections are often the result of loose wiring, faulty wiring nuts or a failure to sufficiently secure supporting infrastructure around the wiring. Sometimes wires are tied together in a sloppy manner. When the electrical current runs into unexpected resistance it leads to overheating.

3. Excess Current

This happens when there's too much electric current flowing through a panel or socket unequipped to handle it. A sustained surge of this sort causes the outlet to heat up. While there are protections in place for most panels to prevent excessive heat, these safeguards may get bypassed if an extension cord is in use.

4. Damaged Insulation

Insulation around your electrical wiring can deteriorate over time. Liquids may leak into the panel, getting into the insulation and gradually exposing the wiring beneath. Wires may break through their covering at a point where they were tied off too tightly. Once the insulation goes, those wires may come into contact with other combustible surfaces.

What Should You Look For?

Do your lights constantly flicker? Is there buzzing when you plug a device into a socket? Have you experienced any sort of shock when unplugging a piece of equipment?

Letting these situations continue without addressing them could lead to significant issues later on that cost quite a bit in repairs. If these are regular occurrences in your home or you're just concerned about the state of your electrical wiring, it's best to consult a professional electrician to check out your home and address any issues that might be found.

In the meantime, keep track of anything unusual and take any precautions you can. Be aware of electrical surges in your sockets, or other signs that there may be a problem. And, of course, make sure you're not overloading outlets with too many appliances. Browse through our surge protection products.

Consult A Professional

If you suspect any of your outlets or panels might be overheating, don't hesitate to have a qualified electrician examine them. David Gray Electrical Services provides quality electrical services in North Florida. Get a free estimate today!