Skip to Content
Serving Jacksonville, St. Augustine & Palm Coast
Emergency Service Available 904-605-8190

Is Your Home's Electrical Wiring Up-to-Date?


Is it time to update your home's electrical wiring? How can you tell? Electricity is constantly running through your home. As your home ages, the circuits and electrical system components age as well, posing a potential safety issue that you will want to fix. Here are a few signs it's time to update your home's electrical wiring.

Breakers That Trip or Fuses That Blow

Having a breaker trip or a fuse blow every once in a while is not that out of the ordinary. However, if it's happening on a regular basis, it's definitely a sign of a problem. Usually, it means your home's electrical system is so outdated that it can't handle all the modern electronics you're using.

Tingling Sensation When Touching an Appliance

You should never feel a shock or tingle when you touch an electronic appliance. This suggests that electricity is leaking in the device or that there is a fault in your home's electrical supply. This could cause a fire or give you a deadly shock.

Flickering or Dimming Lights

Flickering lights can have a few different causes, not all of which are serious. Sometimes, there's just a bad bulb or a faulty socket connection, which can typically be fixed on your own. However, when the lights dim or flicker throughout the entire home, it's a sign that you might have loose service conductors. Additionally, lights that flicker when a bigger appliance is in use, such as a space heater or AC, suggest that your system is nearly being overloaded and should be upgraded.

For help with heating or AC needs, visit David Gray Heating & Air.

Persistent Burning Smell

Your outlets should never give off a burning smell. This suggests that they are broken and might be causing a fire inside your wall.

Warm, Discolored, or Sparking Outlets

Similar to the above note, your outlets should never spark, look discolored, or feel warm to the touch. This means you either have a short circuit in the outlet or that the outlet's wires have begun to loosen.

Two-prong Ungrounded Outlets

Back in the day, it was standard to use two-prong ungrounded outlets. However, these are extremely unsafe, especially with today's higher voltage electronics. With no grounding wire, you could easily start an electrical fire when you plug in something that's too strong for the system.

No Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) Outlets

GFCI outlets greatly reduce the risk of electric shock when compared with a standard outlet. They "trip" whenever the outlet gets overloaded or short circuits, preventing the electrical current from traveling out of the outlet. Therefore, you should definitely have them installed in kitchens, baths, and other areas exposed to moisture.

Need help with your kitchen or bathroom plumbing? David Gray can help with that, too!

Update Your Wiring Today

Did this checklist make you realize just how outdated your home's electrical system is? Don't worry, because David Gray Electrical Services can help. Contact us to learn more about how we can upgrade your home and keep you safe.

Schedule an Appointment