How to Tell If Your Home Has Electrical Problems
Modern homes rely on electricity for nearly everything. From laundry to lights to Wi-Fi, today's family can't function without it. But electricity is still one of the most dangerous parts of your home. It's crucial to ensure your system is working to avoid injury or dangerous electrical fires. Here's what you need to look out for in your home.
Hot ceiling fixtures
Heat can build up in ceiling lights if a bulb exceeds the maximum wattage or if there's not enough insulation around it. This buildup can cause the light bulb to shatter and even pose a fire hazard. Always make sure your bulbs are the appropriate wattage, and occasionally check the drywall around your ceiling fixtures to make sure it is not warm to the touch.
Non-functioning light switches
Home developers won't install a switch that isn't wired to the electrical system, so immediately call a professional if a switch doesn't work. While it may seem unimportant, it could signal a fire hazard behind your wall in the form of loose or faulty wirings.
Flickering lights are typically a sign of a dying light bulb, but they could indicate something more serious. For example, there could be an issue with the light fixture or the electrical connection. If multiple light bulbs are not working in a light fixture, it's time to get help from an electrician.
Occasional sparks when you first plug in a large appliance are normal, but frequent or large sparks indicate a problem with the outlet or the circuit. If the outlet is sparking and you notice a burning smell, turn off the power at the electrical panel and call a professional immediately. While it may suggest a faulty appliance, it could also be a wiring or overload problem that could lead to an electrical fire.
Watch out for potential electrical hazards to keep your home safe. If you've noticed any electrical problems, hire an electrician who's quick and professional from David Gray Electrical by calling (904) 724-7211.